Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Savannahism (the first of many I'm sure)

Sorry...no pictures, but this post is more for memory's sake since I'm losing mine slowly day by day.

Savannah is 99.999% potty trained (she wears a pull-up to sleep). Woohoo! We wanted to make it easy for Savannah in case she needed to go potty at night so we bought her a cute little hippo stool to help her reach the potty. One night a few weeks ago, Stephen looks at me and says, "Do you hear water running?" I listened and sure enough I heard it and immediately my heart sunk into the pit of stomach and adrenaline rushed through my veins. In my mind, Savannah had turned on the steaming hot bath water, attempted to climb into the tub, slipped, fell into the steaming water, bumped her head knocking her unconscious (reason we didn't hear screaming), the washcloth had been left in the tub which blocked the drain, so water filled the tub and she was drowning in steaming hot bath water. I raced upstairs...don't even recall really how I got there...I may have just leaped over the balcony for all I know. Much to my relief, Savannah was happily playing in the sink standing on her other step stool having a grand 'ole time splashing in the water with her cup and a washcloth completely soaked neck to ankles...with cold water. Whew! From that moment on, we lock the pocket door to her bathroom with a dime each night before she gets tucked in. So now, we're back to square one, and IF (that's a big IF) Savannah wakes up and needs to use the potty in the middle of the night, she'll have to come wake us up.

So I had this brilliant idea to leave her Bjorn training potty in her room. Therefore, if she did have to go in the middle of the night, there would be no worries of her falling and busting open her head. That potty has been in her room for about a week now. Each night about 10 minutes after tucking Savannah into bed, she proudly walks out of her room holding said potty and announces with delight, "Look, Mommy Daddy, I pee-peed in my litter box."